Monday, March 23, 2009

(S)mash it up

Ever since we first discussed an online component to WoyUbu: An Intermedia Mash-up, I've been wanting to include some links to actual musical mashups and never quite got around to it. Most of my favorites are at least 5 or 6 years old--an eternity in internet years--and I've long since quit seeking out new ones. Mash-ups are an odd phenomenon--one portion of society has still surely never heard of them, while a much smaller contingent is surely so over them by now that they must be cringing at the mere mention of the term. (Even so, I've noticed the word popping up in all sorts of new contexts in the last year, in much the way "deconstruction" made its way from architecture to critical theory to People magazine within about a decade. But it seems to me that WoyUbu really does exactly what crafty DJs do, as noted in this preview of the show.)

What I will mention here is the recent work of internet sensation Kutiman. Like at least 3 million other people, I first learned about him through a friend's email, although the best intro to what he's all about is this recent NPR segment. On second thought, his cut-and-paste videos speak for themselves (albeit in the words and music of collaborators he's never met). Here's one I particularly like:



Got a favorite mash-up? Share the link with us in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment